2.26.2009

Goodbye, Oyster House

Phil Smith, aka The Hardest Working Man in Comics, has been a bartender at the Oyster House in addition to his duties at Top Cow for as long as I've known him. I think if you add a couple more years, that's how long he's been tending there. Tuesday night marked the end of an era, as it was Phil's last night behind the bar.

Despite possibly having a broken hand, nothing could keep me from experiencing my first "Rage Night" (not WeHo style), and Phil's final night. The Oyster House has a very special place in my heart. Not only was I always treated like a king there (thanks, Phil), but it's been there for me through good times (2 New Year's and 2 birthdays) and bad (post break-up). I've long considered it my local bar, despite the fact that it's 14 or so miles away.

I don't even know what else to say. There's video of Cuban Rage taking center stage, and a cameo from the Dusty and Frutti show, so maybe that's something to seek out one day if you want to be entertained. The bar still exists, and I recommend going for the stiff drinks and the food. It just won't be the same without Phil behind the bar.

So here's to Phil, and to an era that will likely never return. A great man and a great bartender. Also, a great friend.

No comments: