3.09.2009

TGIM - Opportunity

Hi there, has is it really been a week?  Didn't mean to leave you all out in the cold, but the combination of the wrist injury, a new roommate, a busy life, and going home to the ATL has kept me busy.  More updates this week, I promise.  But being as it's Monday, here's yet another TGIM to get you through the next five minutes, rest of the day, week, month, etc.

Today I'd like to talk to you about the magic of opportunity.  Sometimes it's obvious - job offers, all-expense paid trips - and other times more subtle - that girl checking you out from across the bar who's out of your league, something that's seventeen steps ahead of the eventual fully-realized opportunity.  A friend of mine asked me how work was last night.  I laughed, as being unemployed means that I don't really have an answer to that, and I'm waiting to hear back on a couple things for the book I'm editing.  But I realized I owed at least four pitches this week.  All short pitches, one of which is part of a "bake off" that I have no idea how many other writers are up for, but pitches nonetheless.

I could play the pessimist and say that I won't get any of them.  I could get down on myself, go to WAMU's site and look at my dwindling finances, and curse myself for turning down a miniseries right after NYCC.  Instead I sit here fired up.  People are asking me what I would do with certain characters and concepts if I got the shot to write them.  I am doing EXACTLY what I want to be doing with my life right now.

Every opportunity, no matter how big or how small, totally validates that all of the experiences I've had and opportunities I've taken advantage of in the past have led me to the place that I am and want to be.  Opportunity means a chance for progress or advancement.  I'm not going to capitalize on every one - part of it is just a numbers game - but I'm making damn sure that I'm not dropping the ball, preemptively shutting the door, or burning bridges as a result of anything presented to me.

Step up when given opportunities.  They're the best way to control your destiny.  As a Libertarian I know and believe that nothing is or should be handed to those who don't take responsibility.  I could bitch and whine about the economy, or how life isn't fair, or some guy is better friends with some other guy and that's how he gets more work than me.

On second thought, that sounds even worse once written.  I'm going to be a man and get by on my own steam.  If friendships and connections benefit me, fantastic.  But if I have to go it 100% alone (Mom, I know you'll never abandon me, relax...), then that's what I'll have to do.

***
Next:  Don't Mess With the Ketubah!

No comments: