3.30.2009

TGIM - The Magic Castle

Plenty of people have heard of it, but not many have gone. Or at least that's the vibe I get from a lot of my friends in LA. I'm lucky. I have a friend who is a mentalist and performing artist, and he started coming to town a couple years ago and inviting me to come with him to The Magic Castle in Hollywood. I'll be honest, I didn't know what to expect. And I'm not used to going out in a suit and tie unless it's a wedding or religious event.

The Magic Castle is consistently one of the best nights you can have in Los Angeles. First off, it's classy. There's a dress code. That means you're not going to have any classless douchebags ruining your night on the town. Secondly, it's members only in the club... Easy to keep the riffraff out. There are two kinds of members - Magicians and Associate Members. One day I'll be the latter, if I'm good enough to join. Lastly, it's a fun vibe. I won't spoil much, but there are lots of little touches that go way beyond just being a venue for some people to perform magic. That can happen anywhere, but the Castle is a special place with a lot of history.

Of course, the main reason to go is for the performances. I've seen some damn good acts, especially in the Close Up Parlor. Jon Armstrong, Jonathan Pendragon, Simon Coronel, and just last night, Johnny "Ace" Palmer (as well as a few others). I've always enjoyed magic, dabbling a wee bit back in my elementary days with some Magic by Gosh tricks, but seeing some of the best guys out there performing for fellow magicians and fans, and really loving what they do... It's a hell of a lot of fun.

If you have the opportunity, be sure to check it out. I'll be back in September when Jordan Wright performs in the Parlor of Prestidigitation for sure, so let me know if you want to go (ladies).

Enjoy the rest of your Monday. I'm persevering so far.

No comments: